Thai citizenship when born overseas

Am I a Thai citizen?

Children born overseas to at least one Thai parent are eligible for Thai citizenship, regardless of the place of birth of that parent.

There is often some confusion about the eligibility of a child born to a Thai parent overseas. The easy answer is that a child born to a Thai citizen, whether in Thailand or outside of Thailand, is automatically born a Thai citizen.

In the case of Thailand, citizenship by birth is by blood, or to use the Latin phrase “jus sanguinis” (by the right of blood). In layman terms, it means the right to citizenship through one’s bloodline or ancestry. The main exception is when a child is born in Thailand to two foreign parents who both have permanent residence status in the kingdom at the time of birth. In that case, the child will be a Thai citizen from birth due to their parents’ permanent residence status.

As such, if you were born to a Thai parent overseas, or your children born overseas to a Thai parent, they are eligible to receive Thai nationality.

Apply for a Thai birth certificate in the country of birth

Thailand does not issue ‘citizenship via descent’ certification like many countries. Thai citizenship when born overseas needs to be established by a Thai birth certificate (สูติบัตร). This is the primary document proving one’s status as a Thai citizen throughout their life. Without one, it is impossible to be registered on a Thai House Registration – the ‘tabien baan’ (ทะเบียนบ้าน) or have a Thai passport (หนังสือเดินทาง) or ID card (บัตรประชาชน) issued.

A Thai citizen born overseas will go through life with two birth certificates: the one issued by their country where they were born, as well as their Thai birth certificates which is issued by the Thai embassy in that country.

The first step is to apply for a Thai birth certificate at the Royal Thai embassy in the country of birth. For example, all children born to a Thai parent in the United Kingdom and on the island of Ireland must apply to the Thai Embassy in London, whereas a child born to a Thai parent in the United States must apply to the Thai Embassy in Washington DC.

Requirements for a Thai birth certificate will vary slightly depending on the embassy, however general requirements should include:

  • Full birth certificate issued in country of birth*.
  • Marriage certificates of the parents**
  • Photo’s of the applicants
  • Passport/identity documents of the parents
  • Thai ID card and house registration copies of the Thai citizen parent.

*Local birth certificate will need to be legalized in the country of birth by the appropriate body. Please contact the relevant embassy for the appropriate national counterpart.  For example, in the US this will be the Secretary of State and Department of State respectively.

**Please see individual embassy requirements in the case where parents are not married, divorced or deceased.

It is generally not necessary to attend the embassy to apply for a birth certificate; however, it is possible that the father and mother will be asked to attend the Thai embassy in person if the child was born before 1 March 1992.

Below are links for obtaining birth certificates at major Thai embassies around the globe.


Royal Thai Embassy, Canberra

Click this link


Royal Thai Embassy, Berlin

Click this link (available in Thai and German only)


Royal Thai Embassy, London

Click this link

(available in Thai only)


Royal Thai Embassy, Washington DC

Instruction for applying (Thai only): click this link

List of forms: click this link

Birth certificate form: click this link

Thai Consulate, LA 

List of forms: click this link (Thai)

List of forms: click this link (English)

Thai birth certificate for a foreign-born child – in Thailand

In some cases, a person who is eligible for a Thai birth certificate has already moved back to Thailand using a foreign passport.

For a person who is born outside of Thailand to a Thai parent, only the Department of Consular Affairs of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Bangkok can assist you in obtaining a Thai birth certificate by liaising with the Thai embassy in the country of birth for the child.

Details of the Department of Consular Affairs are:

Legalization Division, 3rd floor
Department of Consular Affairs
Ministry of Foreign Affairs
123 Chaeng Wattana Road
Bangkok 10210

Tel: 0-2575-1058 and 59   Fax: 0-2575-1054
Service hours: 08.30 – 14.30 hrs. (Closed on Saturday – Sunday and Public Holidays)
Email: [email protected]

Myth buster: It is important to note that your district office (สำนักงานเขต) in Thailand CAN NOT issue a foreign-born child with a Thai birth certificate. Some will claim that they can, but it isn’t possible. The reason is a local district office in every region in Thailand is only able to provide birth certificates for those who are born within their boundaries. As such no district office in Thailand will be able to issue a Thai birth certificate. Once you have obtained the birth certificate from the Thai embassy in the country where the child was born however, the district office can then register them in the family house register, or ‘tabien baan’ (ทะเบียนบ้าน).

When should one apply for a Thai birth certificate overseas?

A person is eligible for Thai citizenship when born overseas can be granted a Thai birth certificate any time. There is no time limit to do so. People have known to have applied and received their birth certificates in their 40’s!

However, please note that it can be more difficult (though not impossible) to prove your Thai citizenship without documents from the Thai parent proving such eligibility. The death, divorce, or parent absconding, or the loss of the parents Thai identity papers are all very common problems. In such cases, DNA testing back in Thailand using links to remaining relatives is the only other method of establishing one’s rights to Thai nationality, and understandably this process can be cumbersome and expensive.

As such, it is recommended to apply for a Thai birth certificate overseas as practically as possible after the child’s birth. 

Does this make me a dual citizen?

Yes it does! As such, you’ll be able to travel with two passports, both your Thai and non-Thai one, maximising the number of countries you can travel to visa free! Thailand has absolutely no issue with dual citizenship, so the world is your oyster!

Your first Thai passport 

Once you have a Thai birth certificate, the Thai embassy will generally allow you to apply for your first Thai passport through them.

Normally a Thai passport requires being registered on a house registration (tabieen baan/ทะเบียนบ้าน) in Thailand and for those over 15 years of age, to have a Thai ID card. This requirement is waived for the first passport someone with Thai citizenship born overseas if they apply for the passport at the same time as receiving the birth certificate.

Registering your name on the house registration in Thailand

The expectation however is that for the purposes of getting subsequent Thai passports – and to get your first Thai ID card, the name of the overseas born Thai citizen will be added into the house registration at an address in Thailand, either by the person themselves, or in the case of minors, via a parent or other authorised representative doing so on their behalf.

When coming to Thailand for the first time, if the embassy has issued you with a new Thai passport, then you should enter Thailand on that passport. Once stamped in, you can head to a district office to be registered on a house registration or ‘tabieen baan’. 

Normally most overseas born Thais opt for being registered on the tabieen baan of family members, and ideally the same house registry as your Thai parent. While it isn’t strictly necessary, it does help make the process a lot easier. Generally, for this, you’ll need to go to the district office personally with the following documents:

  • Thai birth certificate issued by the embassy
  • Thai passport which you entered Thailand on (if you have it – otherwise a copy of your foreign passport will be fine)
  • Copies of your Thai parent’s Thai ID
  • A copy of your non-Thai parents’ passport or other official ID (in many cases this will have to be officially translated as the tabieen baan will require the Thai spelling of this parent’s name)

Also needed will be two Thai citizens who can vouch for your identity. This will likely include the ‘house master/เจ้าบ้าน’ who has control over the tabieen baan document, and one other person. It helps (though not compulsory) that they are relatives. In more remote areas you may also be asked to being the village head.

Information about registering on the house registration for overseas born Thai’s is available here (Thai language only).

Thai citizenship

Long time resident of Bangkok. Married, three daughters. Managing director of CLC Asia ( Lots of interesting knowledge and experience built up over time which I hope can be of use to people.

270 Responses

  1. Alysa says:


    I would like to apply for Thai citizenship as my biological father is Thai. However, he is not my father on my Thai birth certificate. I understand that DNA tests are required first. Does this process need to be done in Thailand or can it be done from Australia. Thank you

    • Hi Alysa,

      So the DNA tests will have to be done via an approved Thai government hospital. I don’t know the exact ins and outs of the process, but your biological father will need to speak to the district office where he is registered to find out how to kick off the process.

      One thing is slightly confusing – you mention you have a Thai birth certificate – I assume you were born in Thailand? All Thai birth certificates state if you have Thai nationality at the top of them. What does yours say?


  2. Lune says:

    Hello. I have a unique situation and wondered if you have any insight or recommendations.
    I was born in a northern Thailand village near chiang saen in the late 1980s. My mother is Thai but my grandmother lost all her documentations and she never obtained her official Thai ID or citizenship. My birth was also never registered when I was born since my dad is Laotian so I do not have my Thai birth certificate. I was born in the village and not the hospital. We moved to the U.S in 1990. How do I go about obtaining my Thai birth Certificate and ultimately my Thai citizenship?
    Thank you for any guidance.

  3. Luna says:

    I was born and live in Malaysia, I don’t know who is my father, but my mother is Thai Citizenship (but she abandoned me in Malaysia and I don’t know where she is now). Am I entitled to the Thai Citizenship?

    • You will have to find her and establish a link. Alternatively if you know any of her relatives (your uncles or aunts by birth) you can do DNA testing to establish your relationship and this claim to Thai citizenship.

  4. DanMilan says:


    Thank you for clearing up a lot of questions I have on Thai citizenship . I’m a 23 year old Malaysian born to a Thai mother and Malaysian father. My mother is still Thai with a Thai passport and ID there fore from what I read , I am allowed to have Thai citizenship. Should I go through the embassy here in Kuala Lumpur or go to Thailand to get a birth certificate ?

    Appreciate all that you do.

    • Hi Dan,

      Thanks for your comments.

      As per the article if you were born in Malaysia to a Thai parent then you apply via the Thai embassy in KL for your Thai birth certificate.

  5. Ken says:


    First of all, allow me to thank you for all the invaluable advice you’re providing people. I’ve learned a lot reading over your articles as well as your answers in the forums. I tried to see if others in a similar situation to mine have already asked a question, but couldn’t find anything so I’ve decided to make a post of my own.

    Simply put, I’d like to know the definition of being “automatically” born a Thai citizen. My understanding is that the place of birth doesn’t matter, but is there a difference between having two Thai parents as opposed to one? Your article doesn’t make a distinction, but the following webpage appears to do so:

    To offer some background for my question, I am a Thai-Australian with an Austrian wife, and my children are eligible for citizenships in all three countries by descent (our older two have obtained them, and we’re currently working on it for the third). However, the staff at the Austrian Embassy recently told us that Austria only allows a child to be a citizen of another country if said citizenship is acquired “automatically.” In order to avoid potential complications with Austria, which is apparently quite strict, I’d like to confirm the definition of “automatic.”

    In the case of my older two children, we have successfully applied for their Thai birth certificates by providing proof of descent (my passport, Thai ID, house registry details etc.). I assume that, even in situations when both parents are Thai, you would still need to undergo the same process and provide the same proof, but is there any difference in the eyes of the authorities between our situations? E.g. are my children merely “eligible” for Thai citizenship as opposed to “automatically” acquiring it? Or are they automatically citizens, and it’s just a matter of formalizing things by acquiring the birth certificate?

    Thank you very much in advance, and please let me know if anything is unclear.


    • Hi there. So you’ve articulated it pretty well – they are automatically citizens it’s just a matter of formalising the paperwork.

      In Thailand if a child is born it still a gap of time following the birth to get the birth certificate which states they are ‘Thai’ at the top of it. But they are Thai from the moment of birth.

      Same if born overseas, but in this case you are just waiting for the embassy to issue the birth certificate as opposed to the district office.

      Hope this helps!

      • Ken says:

        Thank you very much for your reply! It helps a great deal, clearing up our concerns that we might fall afoul of the Austrian authorities. Going forward, we might have more questions for you, specifically regarding putting the children in the house registry–but we’ll cross that bridge when we come to it. Thanks again!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Subscribe to Our Newsletter

Sign up to receive new content first.

Thai Citizenship
error: Unfortunately, due to unscrupulous scammers who try and copy this content and pass it off as their own, this is protected and not available for cut and paste.