Thai citizenship when born overseas

Chris Larkin

Long time resident of Bangkok. Married, three daughters. Managing director of CLC Asia ( Lots of interesting knowledge and experience built up over time which I hope can be of use to people.

116 Responses

  1. William Ezell says:

    Hello again everyone,
    Will Ezell here again. I was born in 1984. So as per the nationality act of 1992 it says to:

    “prepare a statement requesting the birth certificate per the nationality act(ISSUE 2) BE 2535 (1992)”

    What exactly should i do?
    If it helps i am applying through the Los Angeles Consulate via mail as it is Covid regulations.
    Also, should i apply for my passport or ID during the same application? Is this possible?’

    Thanks a million again!


    • Hi Will

      So it sounds like you are applying for a Thai birth certificate based on the fact you are born to a thai parent. Each embassy has its own proceedures depending on the country so in the case of the US there are a few steps involved including (from memory) getting your US birth certificate certified by state and federal agencies. So please follow the exact instructions of the LA consulate.

      In respect to the thai passport, all thai passports require that you attend in person – not easy if you aren’t near an embassy or consulate and near impossible during covid.

      In normal times, if you weren’t close to an embassy or a consulate then normally the embassy would organise mobile consulates at specific dates across the country and could could attend in person then to get a passport issued. Given covid though you’ll need to speak with the embassy to see how they are handling new passport applications.

      Good luck with it all.

  2. William Ezell says:

    Hello! Currently in the process of getting a Thai birth certificate. My mother is Thai my father is American. I was born and raised in the US but plan on moving to Thailand next year as my mother is moving home to retire after living here so long. My question is: I have an American name now but my parents have been divorced forever, but can I embrace my Thai heritage and take a Thai name on my Thai birth certificate to honor my mother’s family name?

    • Hi William,

      To be honest, in the first instance, my answer is ‘I’m not sure’. It may be that the embassy require that your name follows your US birth certificate just as a process formality, but that is just a guess on my part. Rest assured though, even if that is the case, once you have established your ID card in Thailand and are recorded on a house registry, it is very easy to change your name. In fact, Thai people do it all the time and sometimes multiple times during their life for various reasons, some serious, many not so serious. So if using a Thai name is a goal, then at the end of the day it won’t be an issue – but in the first instance at the embassy, I’m not sure what the answer will be.

  3. Szaye says:

    Hi, I was was wondering, when renewing my Thai passport at the UK embassy (when travel is allowed and the embassy opens up again of course), will I be expected to be fluent in Thai? I was born overseas to one Thai parent and am about to turn 20, which I believe is the age where I don’t need my parents to be present at the embassy, and so although I can speak some Thai and can write my full name in Thai, I’m unable to speak the language fluently or read any Thai due to growing up in the UK. Will that be a problem, or would it be better for me to bring my Thai parent with me even if I am 20? My parents and I would greatly appreciate some help if you are able to answer this! Thanks!

    • Hi Sayze, thanks for your message.

      There is absolutely no need for you to speak any thai at all. Your rights to citizenship are not dependent on being able to speak thai and the embassy staff are all pretty good at English.

      Just be aware however that unless you have a current Thai house registration and thai ID card it might be tricky to renew your passport as an adult. I know that overseas born thais can be issued their first passport without an ID card, but I recall reading that they are needed for subsequent passports.

      If that happens however there is no great stress. Thai citizens are allowed to travel back to Thailand and enter on an expired thai passport. Once back, you can register for an ID card and then easily renew your passport.

      Hope I’ve been of help.

  4. Edward says:


    Thank you! This information is priceless!

  5. Edward says:


    Your site is very informative but I am still a bit confused about some processes. BLUF: My mother is a Thai Citizen and has a Thai passport. I was born in Thailand and have a Thai birth certificate. What other documents need I have to apply for Thai Passport in the U.S.? What else is needed to establish citizenship?

    • Hi Edward.

      You don’t have to do anything further.

      Being born in Thailand to a Thai parent you are already a thai citizen and your birth certificate will say as much at the top.

      Being born in Thailand too means you have your name registered in a house registration (‘tabieen Baan’) somewhere as well.

      You would have likely departed Thailand on a thai passport when you left there.

      Normally for an adult to apply for a thai passport (either in Thailand or overseas) you need a thai ID card. You don’t say whether you’ve got one. If not, the embassy may not be able to issue you with a full passport, but if you have details of your house registration, have your old passport still they may be able to issue you with a temporary passport good for a one way journey to Thailand (but please check with them). If they are unable to, you can still enter Thailand on a US passport.

      Once in Thailand you’ll need to go to the district office where you are registered, obtain the ID card, at which point you can apply for a full thai passport. If you had entered on your US passport you’ll also need to leave, by air, and then renter on your thai passport. Pre-Covid this would involve a short hop to a neighbouring country and then come back.

      Hope this is helpful.

      • Edward says:

        Very helpful sir! I do not have a Thai ID as I left there as an infant. Would the house registration information be on the transcribed birth certificate…I have original BC and its English transcription…

        • Hi Edward,

          Your birth certificate only shows the district office where your birth was registered, but at birth you would have been issued with an ID number. I’m not sure if you’ve got any relatives back in Thailand but if they took a copy of your birth certificate to the district office they may be able to find out where you are currently registered. I’m guessing it’s either on one of your relatives house books, or if not, your name would have been shunted to the central database usually reserved for those with no fixed address in Thailand. If the latter is true then the embassy won’t be able to issue you a full passport and you’d need to travel back to Thailand to have your name put back on a house registration document at a regular address (which can be anywhere so long as the person in charge of that property approves).

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Subscribe to Our Newsletter

Sign up to receive new content first.

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!
error: Content is protected !!