The ultimate guide to Thai Permanent Residence

Chris Larkin

Long time resident of Bangkok. Married, three daughters. Managing director of CLC Asia ( Lots of interesting knowledge and experience built up over time which I hope can be of use to people.

You may also like...

83 Responses

  1. Roman says:

    Hello, thanks a lot for this helpful information!

    Could I ask you one question, I heard what at Immigration Changwattana they have a special PR Desk where I can get the support in order to prepare all my documents, could someone give me the direction how can I find it there?

    Thank you.

    • Hi Roman,

      There is a desk there, and when you arrive at the immigration department, just tell them you are there to apply for PR and they will give you a queue number and direct you to the correct desk.


  2. Johan says:

    Hi Chris, very good article. I have PR status myself but get very confused about admission fees to musea, temples, national parks and other attractions. Sometimes they let me in at the Thai citizen rate, sometimes I need to pay the tourist price depending on the person at the ticket counter. Is there an official guideline as to which entrace fees apply to PR holders ?

    • Dear Johan,

      Thanks for reading! I don’t profess to be an expert on this, but I think the hard and fast rule is that discounts are only for Thai citizens and I’ve never seen anything in reference to PR holders (or indeed other long termers here). Obviously over the years exceptions have been made, but they have always been variable in their application and in recent years they have become stricter in making no exceptions at government run locations, such as national parks.

      If it is a private organization and business, again it is hit and miss when it comes to double pricing/two tier pricing. Some are enlightened and broaden their scope to those who can prove they are resident in Thailand, normally hotels and the like (usually via a Drivers License or non-immigrant visa), while others are the opposite and I think there is a website out there by Richard Barrow which outlines all of those places.

  3. Alex says:

    Hi Chris,

    Definitely the most in depth resource regarding the PR (even better than the immigration site). Thanks so much for this. The COVID situation is making me worry about my job situation and therefore I think that I should quickly apply for a PR in case I get laid off. I noticed that there’s about a 100k difference between getting the PR as a single and as a married person. I’m planning to get married next year. What happens if I apply as a single and then when it’s approved, I’m already married. Which amount do I pay? Any ideas? Also, I’m on a non-b visa renewed yearly currently. If I apply I understand that I’ll be getting a 180 day automatic visa. Is this concurrent with my non-b or will my non-b get cancelled?


    • Hi Alex,

      Yes, the current situation has certainly made a lot of people look closely at how they can lock in their stay here in Thailand. In terms of your situation, it doesn’t hurt to ask, but I suspect if you applied as a single person you’ll be charged as such, even if your status changes.

      In terms of your visa status, yes, you’ll switch over to the automatic 6 month PR in waiting extension.

      Overall getting married helps you get on the express route to citizenship – after 3 years if you don’t have kids, 1 year if you do. Having said that, getting yourself PR at the moment is very prudent as it at least allows you to stay here without restriction, and as you say, you qualify right now.

      Good luck with it all!

      • Alex says:

        Thanks Chris. I remember that previously you had a pdf checklist of the documents required. Don’t see it anymore. The immigration website lists the documents required in Thai but it’s not available in english. Could you upload that again? Thanks!

        • Hi Alex,

          The links and announcements are here For the moment, the current checklist is only available in Thai on immigration website (see the PDF here), but if you go down they have an English version at their offices (go figure!). Having said that, you should be able to use google translate to translate the Thai checklist for you. Sorry I don’t have it on me and I’ll try and upload it shortly.

          • Alex says:

            Thanks again Chris. I’m putting in my application tomorrow! It’s been a painful month of visiting various government offices (multiple times) and collecting the relevant documents but I’m glad it’s finally done! One thing I would suggest adding to your site is a warning regarding how difficult the process is if you decide to gather all the documents yourself instead of going through an agent.

            Cheers man. You’ve been a great help!

          • Hi Alex,

            Good luck tomorrow though I’m sure you’ve been to see the PR people a couple of times and know what is expected. In terms of the paperwork, thanks for sharing your experience. I think my main message is that for what they charge, agents provide no value to, what is, essentially a paper gathering exercise. Having said that, I’ve always said having a good assistant to do some of the more mundane running around is probably the best (and value for money!) option.

            In any case, all the best and I’m sure you’ll be fine. Please let us know how it all goes.

  4. Peter Ho says:


    Can I ask which counter is the PR Counter please? For instance, M, N or another counter? The last time we went to Counter M in Cheangwattana immigration to ask, they all seem confused.

    Or if anyone has used an agent to handle this successfully, can you recommend to me please?

    Thank you very much for your help,

    • Hi Peter, normally there is a dedicated PR desk. I haven’t been there in a while so can’t answer you with certainty, but there will be one there. Maybe ask for the desk where you apply for ถิ่นที่อยู่ (Thin Thi You).

  5. Sushi says:

    Hi Chris
    Thank your for making very helpful article.

    If you could let me know about the educational certificate for PR, I appreciate you.

    I graduated at US university and have an official transcript in English from them.
    My question is that can I use that ENG transcript without translate into Thai?

    And if it is necessary to be translated, which government official can do as the officially certified document?

    By the way, JPN Embassy said it took about 2 months to get Non-criminal proof from country,
    so this year I might not be able to submit all necessary docs in time. (Cry)

    Best regards,

    • Hi there,

      You’ll need to have a chat with the PR desk to ask what will be acceptable in your case. From memory they educational certificates have to endorsed by the embassy from the country of the university (in your case the US embassy in BKK) and then be translated into Thai and certified by the MFA.

      In terms of certain things being delayed, I know from the past that the PR desk does allow some documents like the one you mentioned to be handed in after the official application given they understand these things take time. But again, please check with them on their level of flexibility.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Subscribe to Our Newsletter

Sign up to receive new content first.

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!
error: Content is protected !!