The ultimate guide to Thai Permanent Residence

Chris Larkin

Long time resident of Bangkok. Married, three daughters. Managing director of CLC Asia ( Lots of interesting knowledge and experience built up over time which I hope can be of use to people.

You may also like...

94 Responses

  1. D Ward says:

    Hi Chris, thanks for a great website!
    I wanted to apply for PR in previous years but I had a break in my tax payments last year.
    I have a Thai Son, 18.5 years. I am from the UK, his natural birth mother.
    His Father and I never married but co-habited for many years up until recently when I bought land/house (in my Son’s name) and moved 15 minutes down the road. We are on good terms and I will reregister as living at my new house soon.
    I work, have an minute income in Thailand now. I have an income from the UK also.
    Chris, even if trying to apply under the humanitarian category of having a Thai child, do I still need to have had 3 years consecutive tax payments of over 100,000 baht a month income? (my guardian visa is not an issue, only the tax).
    many thanks 🙂

    • Hi there,

      Thanks for your question.

      So the thing to understand is that your income needs to be derived from a Thai employer and that you need to have had three years of non immigrant visas and work permits when working for this Thai employer. You’ll also need the requisite tax returns.

      In the case of applying under the humanitarian category for looking after a Thai citizen child, the stated level of income is 30,000 baht per month (see section 3.3.3 of this following document HERE ).

      You state that you have a guardian visa for your child which, according to my understanding wouldn’t allow you to have a work permit (forgive me if I’m wrong on this).

      So from the sounds of it you may not have the right visa and work permit arrangement to kick off the PR process at this point.

      • D says:

        Hi Chris
        Thanks for the info.

        I was employed by a Thai company , the Father of our child was one of the Directors.

        I have my Work Permits based on a Non O guardian visa.
        The company was reregistered last year and I became a Director , Son’s Father a Director and our son a Shareholder. A tiny company so I am self-employed.

        Because of the change in Company I had a break in wp and tax.
        The visa extension is continuous for more than 6 years.
        But the tax would have to restart ie from this year.

        Humanitarian category: By the time I have 3 years continuous tax again our Son will be over 20 years old . So I’m reading the documents that I can apply still under humanitarian but our Son providing patronage to me with a 30,000+ income and tax returns of 2 years.

        Am I correct?
        And I will be paying tax too but not at a 100k

        Or dissolve the company and our son pays tax and I apy purely under his patronage (I’m over 50 yrs).

        • Hi,

          So any break between work permits essentially means the three year clock resets. You might want to have a chat with the PR people about your specific situation, but the break of more than a few weeks I suspect will mean that you are back to square one on that front.

          As you say there is the option for your child over 20 to sponsor you as long as he earns 30,000 baht per month. I will put my hand up now and say I’m not familiar with this route but it does exist on paper.

          Again i suggest speaking to the PR desk about this. One thing I will note is there is list of documents needed under the humanitarian category (see page 3 of this LINK.

          It is in Thai only on their website but you’ll see point 7 of page 4 asked for the work permit of – I think – the applicant (it is really unclear on who’s work permit they want). You’ll need to ask the PR desk if this will be needed from you, and if so how far this needs to go back and if they will also want to see your income and tax details.

          • D says:

            Yes, there are quite a few grey areas so I will check with the PR desk.

            Many thanks for the information. Kind regards:)

  2. Jawad says:

    Hi, kudos for this very well written and detailed post. I have one question though. Let’s say someone receives PR while being on Non-B visa working for some company here in Thailand. Naturally that person would have re-entry permit because of the Non-B visa. In that case does he still need apply for re-entry when he leaves the country? Or does the Non-B visa with re-entry permits stays valid alongside the PR? Thanks.

    • Hi Jawed,

      So when you are granted PR you are given an ‘Non-Quota Immigrant visa’ (as opposed to a ‘non-immigrant visa’) which, if you never leave Thailand, allows you to stay for the rest of your life.

      As such, the Non-B visa which you were previously on gets cancelled, as does all attached re-entry permits.

      Being on the Non-Quota Immigrant Visa requires you to have a re-entry permit IF you wish to leave the country and re-enter with your PR rights. For PR holders, a re-entry permit is valid for one year from the date of issuance.

      You don’t need to have a re-entry permit if you don’t plan on travelling, but many people, as a matter of course, get their multiple re-entry renewed each year so they can travel at short notice. A single re-entry costs 1900 baht, a multiple re-entry costs 3800 baht. A link to the immigration departments website HERE give a bit of an outline on what is needed.

      Hope that clarifies things for you.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Subscribe to Our Newsletter

Sign up to receive new content first.

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!
error: Content is protected !!