The ultimate guide to Thai Permanent Residency

Chris Larkin

Long time resident of Bangkok. Married, three daughters. Managing director of CLC Asia ( Lots of interesting knowledge and experience built up over time which I hope can be of use to people.

You may also like...

14 Responses

  1. Akash says:

    Hi Chris,

    Akash here. I would just like to clarify about filing tax return for the amount of annual income of Baht 100,000.. apologies but what does this mean exactly? It seems to be a bit unclear on different sources. I don’t meet the Baht 80,000 per month yet but am looking forward to having PR one day 🙂

    “Earn an annual income at least Baht 80,000 per month for a period of at least 2 years, up to the date of application submission, or have been filing tax return for the amount of annual income of Baht 100,000 for at least 2 consecutive years, up to the date of application submission.”

    Best regards,

    • Hi Akash,

      Basically it means you can have an average income of 80,000 baht for three years, or an average 100,000 baht income for the past two years in the lead up to application in the case the first of those three years was less than 80,000 baht. So hypothenitcallu, something like Yr 1: 50K/month then Yrs 2 and 3: 100,000K/month should be fine. The latter scenario should also allow you to incorporate bonuses etc as well.

      As always, best to have chat with the PR people earlier rather than later to make sure you are on track, but feel free to drop me a personal note if you have any follow up!


  2. Satyapal Singh says:

    Great article. It cleared so many doubts. Only question I have is whether limit of 100 applicants per year per nationality is decided by first come first serve or on merit basis among candidates.


    • As far as I know, yes, most nationalities don’t reach to quota however so its never an issue for them. If it does reach 100, I am not sure what the method of selection is. Any intel you may have would be welcome.

  3. Mike says:

    Hi Chris
    I am on my 2nd year work permit. I was on a year before but It lapsed due to my neglect thinking the WP was the same date as my Non-B Visa.
    Does that count as 3 years? Or are they going to want to see 3 years in 1 work permit?
    My guess is it’s probably not written in stone and up to the discretion of the Immigration Officers>?

    • Hi Mike,

      If it was a matter of a few days between WPs, it can be a bit of a grey area, but if the extensions of stay are consecutive some people have been shown leeway as it isn’t always possible to line everything up work permit wise. It will really be up to the officers to decide this when you submit your documents, but my understand a few days ‘should’ be okay, but don’t take that as gospel.

  4. Anil says:

    Hi Chris
    Very useful write up . I got my PR last year , with this PR , my daughter get a visa for 3 months ?

    • Hi Anil,

      Thanks for your message – to be honest I’m not sure the exact mechanics, but your daughter should be able to get an extension of stay of some sort based on your status.

  5. Ed says:

    Hi Chris,

    Thank you for a detailed information.

    Are you also able to help me with my case? My mother is a Thai National but my father is Filipino. They aren’t legally married and ni longer together. I grew up in the Philippines and is permanently staying here but goes to Thailand once or twice a year. Is it possible for me to apply for a PR? And should I be in Thailand all throughout the process?

    Hope you can help.

    • Hi there Ed.

      No need for you to apply for PR. Technically you are already a Thai citizen having been born to a Thai parent. As such you should go about applying for a Thai passport. Please check out this link.

      All the best.

      • Ed says:

        That’s awesome news! I’ve read the process and it says that it will take couple of visits. Because I am based outside Thailand permanently, would you know approximately how many visits and the duration of each visits? For example, in getting a Thai BC and Thai ID, will it take a week or two on my first visit?

        • Hi Ed – before I can answer that, I need to ask where were you born? In Thailand or the Philippines? If the latter, you’ll first need to obtain a Thai birth certificate from the embassy there, and with luck, you’ll be able to also get a Thai passport issued. If you were born in Thailand – do you already have your Thai birth certificate?

  6. Ruchi says:

    Hi, Chris
    I have a Resident Visa of Thailand and currently I am staying in India.
    I don’t have any Re-entry permit.
    Could you please help me , how can I get back to Thailand?

    • Hi Ruchi

      If you don’t have a re-entry permit for your PR then it becomes invalid and you are ineligible to return to Thailand as a PR. You’ll need to re-qualify for PR again unfortunately.

      The only exception is during the current covid situation. If your re-entry permit for your PR expired while you were outside of Thailand when Thailand shut its borders, then you should be able to return as a PR. However, please check with the Thai embassy in Delhi for more details.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!
Subscribe to Our Newsletter

Sign up to receive new content first.

error: Content is protected !!