Traveling with two passports

Chris Larkin

Long time resident of Bangkok. Married, three daughters. Managing director of CLC Asia ( Lots of interesting knowledge and experience built up over time which I hope can be of use to people.

You may also like...

13 Responses

  1. Jack says:

    Hi Chris, I have just acquired my thai passport after naturalisation. Is it allowed for me to exit Thailand with Thai passport and enter third country with another, If I were to travel overseas with visa that is still valid on my previous passport. As I have been told that using my previous passport of another country may lead to revoking my thai nationality. Thank you

    • Hi Jack,

      Firstly, a massive congrats on getting your Thai citizenship! I’d be interested to know how long it took you from start to finish, and maybe a bit about the process you experienced (if you have time and don’t mind writing it here!).

      If you check out this article I’ve written on dual citizenship, you’ll see the ins and outs:

      As you’ll see in section 4 of the article, under Section 19 of the Nationality Act, a naturalised citizen may be stripped of Thai citizenship if they makes use of their former nationality.

      However, it appears to be a little bit more nuanced than this in practice. In practice, simply don’t use your foreign passport for entry and exit out of Thailand as a naturalised citizen. If you look at the article, we provide a link to a (very rare) example of where this happened.

      Hope this helps and congrats again.

  2. Melanie says:

    Hi Chris. Thank you papers which answered my many questions. I really appreciate that. But there still have one more question bothered me for long time.

    I’m dual citizenship which are French and Thai. But I only have French passport since I was born, every time I entered Thailand by French passport. Right now Im in Thailand also used French passport, recently I want apply Thai passport for using but I don’t know where I should apply it, in mainland Thailand or overseas embassy? And if I got it from Mainland Thailand rather than embassy how should I use it? Just leaving Thailand by French passport and when I entering use that very fresh new Thai passport which issued in mainland Thailand ,is that will have problems?

    Hope you can help me.

    • Hi Melanie,

      Thanks for your question. You should be able to apply for your Thai passport in Thailand, assuming however you have your house registration and Thai ID card already and it will be an easy matter to do so and it will be ready in 3 days. If you don’t, you’ll have to get your Thai ID card first.

      When you have your passport, you’ll need to exit Thailand (by air) using your French passport to close of that stay, and the next time you come to Thailand you can enter on your Thai passport at the automatic gates. A short flight to Cambodia, Singapore or Malaysia and coming back is the easiest.

      You of course can apply for a Thai passport via the embassy back in France (for instance) however as an adult, you will require an ID card to do so, and it will take a few months to process, so on balance doing it in Thailand is the easiest.

      I tend to use my Thai passport for travelling around SE Asia, and there are some countries like Russia where a Thai passport is handy as you don’t need a visa.

      All the best and feel free to ask any questions.

  3. Glenn Jones says:

    G’day Chris – My wife is going back to Thailand for a 2 month holiday but will only have 5 months left on her Thai passport on arrival. Can she enter Thailand on her Thai passport and renew it while she is there? She will use her Aussie passport to leave and re-enter Australia. Thanks in advance

    • Hi Glenn,

      She sure can. As a Thai citizen, she can even enter the country on an expired Thai passport (if it got to that point) so having 5 months remaining for travel to Thailand (only) will be no issue whatsoever. Given it is quick and easy to renew a Thai passport in Thailand (all she will need is a valid ID card and 1000 baht for a three day turn around) she wont’ have any issues whatsoever. As you say, leave and enter Australia on the OZ passport, enter and then leave Thailand on her Thai one.

  4. Asa says:

    Hi Chris, I have a very specific question that I would like to ask you about this. Can you PM me at my e-mail address?

  5. Youssef says:

    Hi Chris, my son is born in thailand and moved to canada when he was 18 months. No Thai id yet but has a thai birth certificate. Mum is thai of course. He is now 17 years old. He went with his mum to apply for Thai passport at the Thai embassy in Ottawa. They said they are not sure if they can give him the passport because he does not have a thai id. The officer suggests he goes to thailand on his canadian passport and apply for a thai id there and then when he is back apply at the Thai embassy again for passport. Not sure why these complications, and if this is the case, when he gets his Thai id in Thailand, can he apply for his Thai passport in Thailand instead of at the Thai embassy in Ottawa? Thanks

    • Hi Youssef,

      Yes, once he has his Thai ID he will be able to apply for a passport in Thailand instead of the embassy. The complications seem to have arisen due to the fact that the Thai passport database is totally integrated with the Thai national house registration/ID card system. For 99.99% of Thai citizens, this works fine and makes it very easy to apply for a passport (ie. you only need to show your ID card), but because you son is over 15 now (the compulsory age to get an ID card in Thailand) he falls through the cracks.

      Hope this helps!

  6. Tanya Inthapanti Adolph says:

    Hi Chris, Great article, thank you. I’m US born with dual US/Thai citizenship. My mother has misplaced my Thai birth certificate. What do I need to bring with me to the Los Angeles embassy to request a copy? Also, looking at the above comment, do I need to apply for an ID card in Thailand using my Thai birth certificate? I’m 39. Thanks very much!

    • Hi Tanya,

      The embassy should be able to issue with a valid copy to replace the original – they’ll have it on record. Any proof of your Thai citizenship (photo copies of your old Thai BC, Thai passports, plus any Thai ID belonging to your mother etc) will be useful of course, but best to check with the embassy to see what exactly they need.

      You will be able to apply for a Thai ID on a trip back to Thailand, once you have entered your name onto a valid house registration (they are usually done at the same time). Your Thai BC, plus Thai passport plus two Thai citizens to vouch for you are generally needed for the process, plus copies of your parents IDs as their names are also included in your house registration records.

      Hope this is useful!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!
Subscribe to Our Newsletter

Sign up to receive new content first.

error: Content is protected !!