Thai citizenship through marriage to a Thai husband

1. Miriam B says:

Hi Chris, at the beginning of this article in ‘Documents and other requirements’ you write 20,000 baht is the required income and then later, in the same section but bullet points you mention it as 30,000 baht, can you confirm if it’s 20,000 or 30,000 baht please.

2. Gaynor says:

Hi Chris. My husband is Thai police. We live in Samui. Do you know where we should apply in Samui and if it’s possible (my husband doesn’t know lol)?

Also, I don’t think it’s possible for him to move his tabien Baan to Bangkok as he often needs it here for work purposes.

• Hi Gaynor.

Like in Bangkok, police special branch in Samui will be the contact point for citizenship applications, who then liaise with the bangkok HQ. The question is, will they have the capacity to process the application? My guess is probably not.

If your husband has issues moving his house registration to bangkok given his employment, then he’s really going to have to rely on his colleagues in special branch, and probably be proactive using his links to push the paperwork along the required channels. Based on anecdotal examples been given to me, provincial special branch officials don’t have a clue when it comes to citizenship applications – but it might be a different story in Samui.

• Gaynor says:

Update: We went to Bangkok HQ. They said as we live in Suratthani we must submit all docs to Suratthani Police Station, who will then send them to Bangkok. So we don’t need to have an address in Bangkok, which is great news.

• Hi Gaynor,

Thanks for the update, really appreciate it. Let us know how it all goes as if the SB in Surat are able to handle to process then it means there will be an additional option for those down your way to apply without having to shift their tabien baan to Bangkok.

• LISE Dupuis says:

Hello Gaynor,
          I live I Koh Phangan, also married with a Thai man, for 33 years. We lived overseas for 10 of those years but have resided in Koh Phangan full Time since 2008. May I have permission to contact you regarding the process in Surathani? Thank you!

• Hi Lise,

You should head down to the special branch office for the Surat Thani police to get some intial guidance. As I state in the article, most of the regional special branch police offices aren’t really set up to handle citizenship applications. I will note though that the Royal Gazette announcement earlier this month (Feb 2021) did contain someone who applied via Surat Thani, so you might be in luck with that office.

3. Purpleyeth says:

Hello there,
    Its easy for me to get 4 Thai national witnesses, ask and give me their docs photocopied and signed, but do they really need to go to the national police headquarters in Bangkok? (For me it’s the most difficult part of the application as they have their work) Is there any chance that I could only give them their docs and telephone number?

• Hi there – normally the witnesses have to go to visit special branch as the officers need to formally interview them. If the people you lined up can’t go, then its perfectly fine to send others. Any Thai citizens are fine.

4. Aishah says:

H and forgot this question: if located in Phuket, does that mean we have to move our address to Bangkok?

5. Aishah says:

Hello,

How about application fees? I didn’t see any numbers mentioned? Did you do it all on your own or did you have help from a lawyer?

We are soon to be applying, but want to find the right moment as we aren’t located in BKK